CLEANING TIP SEARCH
Find your cleaning solution below
Search the Queen's cleaning tip solution library by typing in a keyword phrase below:
Coffee and Tea Spills on Carpet
What you need:
- Paper Towels
- Club Soda or Seltzer (alternate: cold water)
- Carpet Spotter
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Using heavy pads of paper towels, blot up all the spill that you can
- Pour on club soda, seltzer, or cold water this will help lighten and break down the stain
- Blot again, standing on pads of paper towels to absorb
- Allow the area to dry until just damp and then use your favorite carpet spotter
- If the stain remains, try pouring 3% hydrogen peroxide on the area
- Let sit for 15 minutes, then blot
- If the stain is lightening you can repeat this process as needed to remove.
- Final step: Flush with cool water and blot, blot, blot
Getting to the spill quickly will insure success. Hot coffee and tea is like brown dye. Quick treatment is vital. Always have a few bottles of club soda in your pantry for spills. If you can put water on the area you are cleaning, you can use club soda.
Why It Works:
The carbonation in the club soda bubbles up the spill so you can remove it and the salts keep it from staining.