What You Need:
- Baking Soda
- Paper Towels
- Vacuum with attachments
- Queen of Clean OOPS, POOPS, & PEE - This is an enzyme cleaner that will digest the protein in the accident and removing any discoloration or staining
- If you don't have that, use your favorite carpet spotter
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Don't touch the accident at all!
- Pour on a heavy coat of baking soda. Make sure you thickly cover the problem
- Walk Away! No matter how tempted you are to try to remove it, don't. The baking soda will absorb the moisture in the accident so that it is easily removable and it draws the problem away from your carpet. It will also keep the problem fro smelling.
- Wait at least 24 hours so the accident dries up and into the baking soda
- Use paper towels and a dull straight edge, like a plastic putty knife (I have a special one to use with my cats) lift up all the baking soda you can along with the accident.
- Now, using the suction hose on the vacuum, vacuum all the baking soda etc off the carpet.
- Now is the time to treat the accident with Queen of Clean OOPS, POOPS & PEE or your carpet spotter
- Follow the directions on the product label
- Allow the area to dry
- If there is any staining (there usually isn't) treat the area with 1/2 - cup of hydrogen peroxide. Apply and let it sit for 30 minites to an hour
- Blot with an old cloth wrung out in cool water and then blot with a dry one.
- Then blot well. Retreat as needed.
Patience pays off. If you try to clealn it up while it is wet, it will smear into the carpet fibers and deeper into the carpet making it almost impossible to remove.
Share with your friends!